In the midst of all the stuff happening around us these days, as appalling wars continue, peace talks grinding into moribundian dust, and economic gloom clouds over our everyday material hopes for a better world, it is possible to find moments when heaven meets earth. Yesterday I had one of those walking into the cathedral late yesterday afternoon, to find the combine choirs of The Cathedral Grammar School rehearsing Johann Sebastian Bach's moment of Jesus which is Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.
Within the livestream of the service itself you can hear/see this at 28.40 at this link: Jesu joy of man's desiring.
The lyrics are:
Jesu, Joy Of Man's DesiringHoly wisdom, love most bright
Drawn by Thee, our souls aspiringSoar to uncreated light
Word of God, our flesh that fashionedWith the fire of life impassionedStriving still to truth unknownSoaring, dying round Thy throne.
We sometimes talk about someone being "anointed by the Spirit" - the Holy Spirit is at work in a believer in a very, very special way, with wonderful outcomes. Is not this psalm to Jesus a mark of J.S. Bach being anointed by the Spirit?
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed the hymn and then watched to the end because I enjoyed seeing the young people participating in the service. How lovely.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely anointed! I was deeply moved by it with ‘soar to uncreated light’ years ago when I was in distress. I have chosen this English sung version for my photo montage at my funeral!
ReplyDelete