Monday, May 4, 2009

Tom's Wright

Now this is a very true word from the Bishop of Durham, and not only caught my eye but tugged at my heart, for once I lived in the Diocese of Durham (and ministered a little, but my main role there was to study):

"I would love to see the diocese turn the corner. The north-east of England, apart from some spots of regeneration, is still pretty depressed economically. Yes, there are some bright spots and some good things happening but there’s lots of the old post-industrial depression. I say to my people again and again, “If the gospel of Jesus Christ is true, it is just as true in the back streets of South Shields as in the leafy lanes of Salisbury.” Why is it that when you advertise a parish job in rural Wiltshire you have 30 applicants and a shortlist of five people who would all be super, but when we advertise the identical-looking job in County Durham we get either only one or two applicants? I’m passionate about the north-east, I want to see the churches flourish. They’re great people, it’s a great place. God is doing things, we need people to come and join in."

From an interview with Bishop Tom Wright published here. (H/T Fulcrum Forum).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Why is it that when you advertise a parish job in rural Wiltshire you have 30 applicants and a shortlist of five people who would all be super, but when we advertise the identical-looking job in County Durham we get either only one or two applicants?"

Many are cold, but few are frozen.

Peter Carrell said...

Brilliant!