Monday, September 5, 2016

Yes, please be amused at my expense

A few weeks back I mentioned our government making a move re Easter Sunday trading (via permitting individual local councils to make decisions). In the discussion here on ADU I was roundly given a rev up about being more concerned for the decline of Christian life in NZ. Fair enough.

Anyway, commenters here will have the last laugh at my expense because our Diocesan Synod at the weekend made a decision about Easter trading which I have to implement.

With the Bishop about to go away on Study Leave, the resolution of the Synod was that Archdeacons with other Christian leaders were requested to make representation to the mayors of local territorial authorities urging them not to permit shops to trade in their areas on Easter Day.

I am the Archdeacon of Mid Canterbury and South Canterbury. Those two ecclesiastical areas encompass four (FOUR) territorial authorities: Ashburton District, Timaru District, Waimate District, and Mackenzie District.

I am going to be busy ... contacting Christian leaders, setting up appointments with mayors and councils ... but don't worry, I have a cunning plan ... in which the word "delegation" appears :)

6 comments:

Father Ron said...

A truly 'Apostolic' work, Peter; delegation, comnmissioning. You might yet come to be celebrated as the 15th (?, M.M. being the 13th; Matthias the 14th) Apostle.

Jean said...

God does have a sense of humour : )

Andrei said...

"I am going to be busy ... contacting Christian leaders, setting up appointments with mayors and councils ... but don't worry, I have a cunning plan ... in which the word "delegation" appears :)"

Here is your opportunity to show bold leadership Peter - "delegation" oh fie Peter, you should lead from the front

You should appear before the councils yourself - I'd love to see you dressed not in business casual but in a cassock, the fire in your belly explaining how this day is the most important on the Christian Calendar and this is a day for families and communities to celebrate together and how this is part of New Zealand's shared English and Maori cultural heritage and needs to be cherished as such - I'd be in the squad that cheers you on, alas only metaphorically you are not operating in my stamping ground

Are there any recorded examples of mass baptisms of Maori Tribes on Easter Sunday? If you can find them hold them forward

Faint heart never won fair lady :)

I suspect a cassock in the street is not your thing but if you try it you might find its efficacy in having people taking your message more seriously - or is this too out there for you?

Peter Carrell said...

Hi Andrei
No, I am not a cassock wearer though generally I wear a clerical collared shirt as a means of identity!

I do intend to lead from the front in respect of appearing before the mayors and/or councils (if that becomes part of the process of communication).

"Delegation" is with particular reference to including local Christian leaders - I need my local colleagues assistance to make contact with them, bring them on board etc.

Anonymous said...

Hi Peter

You could ask some union reps to go round as well. It's always those on minimum wages who have to serve the shoppers.

Nick

Glen Young said...


Hi Peter,

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news,but Queen Vic said,"We are not amused".