Thursday, February 12, 2015

I have seen the future of Religion Down Under and it is spelt

T-A-I-Z-E

Last night I had the opportunity to experience my first full Taize service. As part of a round the continents promotion trip to promote an event in August 2015 focused on new solidarity, three brothers led a workshop in the Transitional Cathedral followed by a service of prayer and song.

The cathedral was full. The atmosphere was superb, with judiciously placed icons, colour filtered lighting and a just right amount of candles.

(Not a great picture from my cellphone. The colouring was red rather than pink.)

What was brilliant was the mix of the congregation: loadsa young people, lotsa older folk like me, too.

Something I very much appreciate about Taize songs - familiar from other occasions, even if this was only my first service - is their heavy Scriptural content. To worship God or to pray to God in these songs is also to read and hear the Word of God.

If all our services had the Taize mix of singable music, Scriptural song, symbolism, gentle spirituality, and symbolism that connects, might the future of Religion Down Under be brighter?

Note that I am not saying that if every service was a Taize service then all would be well. But there is something to learn from Taize services and apply to every service. Commenters might like to discuss this further below.

One particular moment in the service moved me greatly.

The icon of the cross was laid in the centre of the front area (where young people were seated on cushions) and people invited to come an kneel at the cross in prayer.

I went forward and as I prayed I was impressed by the folly of the cross. In a world of violence and terror, of manipulated power serving some and oppressing many, what do Christians have to fight against this? We only have Jesus on the cross. In the end, Christians offer the evil powers in our world our suffering and death.

What is the future of Religion Down Under? It is not to find power and strength in the way of the world but to refind Jesus on the cross and to kneel at his feet.

There the message of Taize to the world finds it footing. That message, expressed last night, is that the peoples of the world might be reconciled in peace. There is no way to reconciliation through violence or manipulation of power. It only comes through suffering and forgiveness.

6 comments:

liturgy said...

I am delighted, Peter, in your positive experience and description of Taizé. Thank you for your post!

My experience is quite different to yours. I am in my fifth decade of having a relationship with Taizé, spending some weeks there, being invited by the founder, Br Roger, to share meals for a week with the brothers, and being with him just four weeks before he was murdered. I have led, and been part of, countless Taizé services.

I think (as was also said last night) that the heart of it is not about replicating, cloning Taizé into other contexts – but about the two sides of its coin: contemplation and justice (reconciliation with God; reconciliation amongst people).

Three brothers, through their leadership, transformed individuals who had never gathered like this before, who, as you highlight, had never worshipped quite this way before, into a community of deep worship in which all were encouraged to fully participate, and there was no concert-like show. The brothers did this through having been deeply formed by living together in a contemplative community.

NZ’s unusual spiritual/church reality has always bemused me. Taizé’s style has never “taken” here as it has elsewhere. May you be right – may this be the time when, for Religion Down Under, our worship becomes more “a mix of singable music, Scriptural song, symbolism, gentle spirituality, and symbolism that connects”.

Blessings

Bosco

Jean said...

Bosco how many decades was that? Just joshing...

Sounds like an amazing service, what a privelege to be part of something with such depth of experiencing Jesus.

I know there was a regular Taize service in central Wellington but I never had the privelege of attending.

Father Ron Smith said...

"NZ’s unusual spiritual/church reality has always bemused me. Taizé’s style has never “taken” here as it has elsewhere. May you be right – may this be the time when, for Religion Down Under, our worship becomes more “a mix of singable music, Scriptural song, symbolism, gentle spirituality, and symbolism that connects”. - Bosco -

Bosco, presumably you are talking about the Christchurch Diocese being immune to the influence of Taize worship.

In my former home Diocese of Auckland, we were celebrating Taize style worship for decades. In my own parish of the Hibiscus Coast, we hosted gatherings of young and old at least once a month. It was an opportunity to worship in ways that excited the senses - combining excellent Taize chant with orchestral instruments, times of deep silence and Scripture Readings & Intercession.

There were frequent occasion of larger diocesan gatherings, which tended to encourage youth ministry with depth.

Occasional visits from the Brothers at Taize would draw great attendances.

Gendi said...

Father Ron Smith
I wished I'd been here at Hibiscus Coast when Taize was happening here. Would love info on how to reintroduce.
Gendi
gendidwight@gmail.com

Father Ron Smith said...

Hello, Gendi.

After I left Orewa in 1994, the new Vicar ceased to conduct Taize worship, so I guess there may be very few left who remember our monthly service. However, I believe that Campbells Bay and Torbay Parishes - with whom we often shared - might have members who still remember participating with us on the North shore. They may help you. Agape, Fr. Ron

Gendi said...

Thank you Father Ron. It looks like now the closest to the Coast is Devonport, so I will go and check that out one evening. I'm hoping for something like this at Holy Trinity, Silverdale (maybe).