Monday, May 24, 2010

Champion Bishop

Ha! Got to this story before Taonga ...

Bishop Derek Eaton (Diocesan, Nelson, 1990-2006; Assistant, Egypt; 2007-2009) is not letting the grass grow beneath his feet in retirement. Mainly because he is living on the water, committing himself to a serious swimming challenge. Peter Gibbs of the Nelson Mail takes up the story:

"I first met Derek in January last year, when he wandered up to one of the Port Nelson sea swims, wondering if he could have a shot.

I recognised him from his days as bishop, and never imagined that this mild 67-year-old was about to start giving me severe swimming lessons.

It eventuated that one of his earlier missons had been in the swimming pool, where he was a national champion in butterfly and medley between 1950 and 1959. ...

"On returning from Cairo, my eldest son Simeon, a consultant at Middlemore Hospital in Auckland, immediately took me to a sports shop, had me buy a wetsuit, and insisted on my entering the national Sovereign Ocean Swims with him."

From the start of last summer's Port Nelson series, Derek was unstoppable – unbeaten in the 60-69 age group despite my best efforts and those of the redoubtable Stuart Hebberd, the top swimmer in the age group the previous season.

With typical determination, he also set his sights last summer on improving his results in the Sovereign series. With six races in various locations from Paihia to Christchurch, Derek swam his way to the top of the 60-69 age group."

The whole feature article may be found here.

No comments: